Ah, back to my old irregular posting schedule! 😉 The past two weeks have been tough, given the snowfall amounts that have slammed us and the soggy, ongoing cleanup afterward. I’m sure a lot of people who might read this have spent a little time hurting from all the shoveling. (We don’t have a snowblower, so please know that I was out there on the front-lines with you!) Some reflections from the past couple of weeks:
- Physical labour can be intense meditation. I was reminded of what has always attracted me to jobs with some element of physical challenge; I value the spiritual and mental effects of real, hard work. It genuinely helps me feel better, clearer and more “myself” when I have had to come through some kind of physical challenge.
- Being really physically tired is awesome for my insomnia. This is obvious, but…it’s also kind of…not? I didn’t think that I was all that lacking in exercise. In fact, I usually get some physical exercise every day. However, even if I lift weights in the morning, walk at lunch, and stay pretty much on my feet around the house in the evening, it’s not usually enough to make me just fall into bed early and sleep like a baby. Chipping away at an ice wall for an hour or more every day? I briefly relearned what it was like to fall asleep easily. I started getting tired more early, and it helped my schedule. I want to hang on to a little of this change. I think I have kind of…gotten better at mornings because of it.
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” -Aristotle I like this. I can say I’m any number of things, but the proof is in the pudding! We are what we actually devote all of our time to doing.
- Gotta love a new-to-me band that keeps putting a smile on my face...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAVTo9YCRsE
- “Growth only occurs in a state of discomfort” -Bill Eckstrom. Here’s Bill’s TedX talk about how comfort will ruin your life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBvHI1awWaI
- I’m almost ready to get my tree-of-life tattoo! I had my last consult yesterday. This means that I will be doing my first sitting on March 7th! Finally! I am very excited, and I fully intend to post progress pics!